Thursday, January 24, 2013

"Wonderful girl. Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her."

Lorelai is not a princess.

She just told me so. 

Usually when I ask her who her favorite princess is, she tells me "Lorelai", which I think is awesome. She's nothing if not well adjusted. I'm sure her future husband will really enjoy the challenge. Today, however, she has refused the crown. Part of the agreement with being a princess, is that she will follow the "Princess Pledge". 

Those of you who have seen Olivia (the cartoon with the cute little pig) are probably familiar with this. My little diva has been able to recite the pledge verbatim since the first time she saw "Princess for a Day" and, I, as her queen, use that to my advantage. 

"A princess promises to be pretty, happy, smell nice, sparkle a lot, sing happy songs very loudly, and never ever be mean." 

You can see how that kind of promise could really work in my favor. Usually, when she's being particularly petulant I will gasp, "Lorelai! What does a princess promise?!" and she'll often look properly chastised and mutter, "A princess promises to be nice." Then I'll egg her on a bit, "Oh good!! What else does a princess promise?" Then she'll recite her pledge and we'll move on giggling and happy with me patting myself on the back for derailing a tantrum. 

She must really be taking this thing seriously though. This morning I noticed that her nails were about a week overdue for a trim. She was watching the Spongebob Christmas special (again) and I thought I'd catch her while she was distracted. HA! 

Arching her back and making herself VERY heavy she adamantly informed me that we would not be cutting her nails. She's really very articulate when it comes to anything she doesn't want to do. So, after I caught her (damn she's fast) I sat her in my lap and started to cut. She was complaining so I invoked The Pledge. 

"Lorelai, what does a princess promise?"

"I not a princess." (Calmly)

"Yes you are!!! You're a beautiful princess. What does a princess promise? Does a princess promise to be nice?"

"I NOT a beautiful princess." Still perfectly matter-of-factly. Then, quoting the Spongebob special she declared simply, "I a very bad bad bad bad toy." 

She's so smart. So logical. It made perfect sense! Not only is she not bound by the Princess Pledge, she's also free to be as un-princessy as she likes. 

That round goes to Lorelai....



2 comments:

  1. I hate it when you think you've found the perfect thing to get them to listen/behave then they change it all up on you. It gets worse when they become teens!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's what everyone keeps telling me. that when they turn 8 you get a break and then they hit puberty and the drama starts all over again. :)

      Delete